Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Very Mori Winter


Mori-Girl is becoming a bigger and bigger obsession of mine now that the colder months are unarguably upon the Northern Hemisphere. All I want right now is... well, a mug of frothy hot chocolate, but fashion-wise, I would be ecstatic to be covered in furs, knits, and thick wool tights. Many lolitas also wear mori-girl style (in my opinion, because a fashion about comfort is a welcome break from petticoats and corsets), but for those of us who don't, never fear! Here are a few ideas on how to have a very Mori winter:

♥Instead of decorating your door with a wreath, tie some pine boughs together with twine and hang that out instead.

♥If you celebrate Christmas (or even if not!), surprise your family this year by baking a bouche de noel. It's a chocolate rolled cake usually filled with chocolate mousse and decorated like a log, complete with wood grain and often little mushrooms or leaves made out of marzipan or meringue.

♥When I think of the holidays, I think of things that smell delicious and remind me of Christmases past. Buy a wax or oil burner and a scent like pine or cinnamon to scent your whole house all season long.

♥Wear your hair in looped braids, or if that doesn't work, braid pieces of ribbon or twine together and wear them as accoutrements- belts, chokers, or bracelets.

♥Pin some pine in your hair like people do with flowers in the summer. A small twig would be very pretty and smell lovely, but be careful of sap!

♥Speaking of scents, switch out your perfume for something earthy or crisp, scented with musk, amber, or bergamot.

♥Mori-girl is inconic for understated makeup, so instead of pink lip gloss and porcelain-doll blush, try a berry-colored lipstain or lip shimmer, that will hardly even look like makeup - something that will make you look flushed, like you've just come from a snowy sleigh ride.

♥Please, give your numb toes a rest from over-the-top heels! Find yourself a nice pair of tall brown boots lined with faux fur. I got mine at a vintage store in NYC, and I basically live in them as soon as there's the slightest nip in the air.

♥Knit earmuffs are really big this season. I've seen them in plaid, heart-print, and even with huge 3-D roses attached to them! Get some in brown or beige, lined with fleece or faux fur.

♥Take a walk in the woods while reading Robert Frost, a perennial favorite here in New England. If you've never heard of him, he popularized the saying "the road less traveled by" in one of his famous poems. For winter, "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening" is just too perfect.




7 comments:

  1. I want to see you in morigirl, Aly! I think you would look so good in it <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of adding pine sprigs to your hair, having the light natural scent all day seems perfect for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely ideas. That poem is one of my favorites, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looped braids are always the cutest! and they keep your hair from getting all static-y in the dry air :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely ideas! Winter is such a Mori time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm seeing a lot more people writing about mori girl. It makes me wish I lived in an area that was a bit chillier, so I could give it a go (layers upon layers of knits and wool would kill me, even in December).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Has anyone British noticed that mori-girls just look like British hipsters?
    Sorry, it looks cute but they really do.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails